Sunday, May 5, 2013

Texas-Style Crustless Quiche

I've mentioned before that CaveBoy and I lived in Texas. That we loved living in Texas. That we miss just-about everything about Texas. Especially the people. But also the food. I spent the day yesterday with a good friend and a few new friends out in horse country. The smell of grass, and horses, and the clear blue sky reminded me of the year+ I spent living on my brother's ranch.

It wasn't a fancy ranch. But it was a lot of fun to live there.

My brother's little blue trailer house. I had the East wing.
It smelled like wild flowers. It was silent at night. And we spent our evenings doused in mosquito spray, sitting outside next to a fire.

The fire CaveBoy built for my birthday party. 
I invented my first version of this recipe after CaveBoy proposed and we move into our first Cave. CaveBoy and his buddy Duke would go out for a mini-Murph on Saturday mornings, and I would cook a high protein breakfast. Before you roll your eyes that I didn't go with them, remember I wasn't always a CrossFitting-CaveGirl and even if I had been, I still wouldn't have joined them. Boys need their time, too.

Anyway - My first version of this recipe was an egg scramble. It's a little easier, and scoops up deliciously with a corn chip (like I said, it was a different time). This version has all the Texas flavors I love, but looks a little fancier on a plate. 

Texas-Style Crustless Quiche

Serve with sweet potato home fries, fresh salsa and guacamole if you want to really be fancy.

Ingredients

12 eggs
1 can coconut milk
6 strips bacon, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 hand-full diced jalapeno (fresh or from a jar)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
Coconut oil spray for the baking pan

Instructions

In a large skillet, cook the diced bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Leave the grease in the pan to cook the veggies.

Crack 12 eggs into the bowl of your stand mixer (or use a large bowl and a hand mixer). Pour in the can of coconut milk. Beat with the mixer at increasing speeds until frothy. Pour into a greased 9x9 baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. You need to pre-cook the eggs a little so the veggies don't sink to the bottom.

While the eggs are baking, heat the skillet with bacon grease over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until they become translucent. Add the diced jalapeno and cook until warmed through.  Season the mixture with garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside until the eggs have baked for 10 minutes.

Remove the eggs from the oven and spoon the veggies into the baking dish. Distribute the bacon evenly into the baking dish. With a spoon, poke or gently stir the bacon and veggies a little so that they are covered with a thin layer of egg.  Return the baking dish to the 400 degree oven. Bake until cooked through. About 20 more minutes. When you take the quiche out it might be puffed up like a souffle. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. The quiche will deflate as it cools. Makes 4 servings.






No comments:

Post a Comment