Sunday, July 22, 2012

Skinnier than Senior Year (of High School) aka My CrossFit/Paleo/Primal Story

Last October, my husband (CaveBoy) and I joined our local CrossFit gym.  We started training 5 days a week, unless work or travel got in the way.  We also started to modify our diet.  I had tried the diet in Tim Ferriss's Four Hour Body with promising results, and was intrigued by the nutritional guidance I was getting at the box.  Not wanting to drink a whole pitcher of cool-aid at once, I decided to do my homework and research the Paleo diet everyone else was following. I read Gary Taubes's Good Calories Bad Calories and it changed my life.

As I scientist, I was sickened by the shoddy research practices that led to the unsupported nutritional guidance we've been receiving from the government.  I had spent the past 10 years feeling like a total failure because my every effort to "eat less and exercise more" had been unsuccessful in generating weight loss.  I realized after reading Taubes's research that it wasn't how much I was eating, but what I was eating that prevented me from losing weight.  I had already eliminated sugar from my diet, years before, so it was clear that grains and legumes were the problem.  I stopped eating wheat, oats, corn, rice, beans etc this winter and the results have been amazing.

CaveGirl before CrossFit
This morning



Before starting CrossFit, I weighed 169.2 lbs and was about 32% body fat.  Today, I weigh 138.4 lbs, less than I weighed as a high school athlete.

I know I still have a lot to learn about CrossFit, nutrition, and feeding a family. So, I'm creating this space to share ideas, recipes, achievements and setbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment