Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Green Beans with Pearl Onions

I needed a good accompaniment to go with my second attempt at Crock-Pot BBQ Pulled Beef. Since we had greens last week, I wanted to serve something new. Cole slaw would be a natural choice, but because this pulled beef was for our lunches, I needed something that could be reheated. I always put the main course and side dish in the same container for easy transportation in our lunch boxes. So, if the main dish goes in the microwave, the side dish should too. Otherwise you end up with microwaved fruit cocktail, and nobody wants that!

Whole Foods always has a cute little sack of pearl onions in the produce section, and I've been thinking about how I could use them in a recipe. Since I was headed that way for a beef roast, I decided this was the  perfect time grab those little cuties and make a pot of homestyle green beans.


Green Beans with Pearl Onions

Aren't these the cutest little bowls?

Ingredients

2 lbs cut grean beans
10 oz pearl onions (about 2 cups), pealed
8 oz ham with bone, diced*
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups water

Instructions

In a large pot, heat olive oil then toss in diced ham and cook until the meat starts to caramelize. Add pealed pearl onions and cook until they become aromatic. Pour in 1 cup of water and deglaze the cooked solids from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Add green beans. Pour in the rest of the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans and onions are tender. About 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

*Note: Ham can be omitted for a vegetarian version. In that case there is no need to deglaze the pan. If you prefer bacon over ham, omit the olive oil. The bacon brings plenty of its own fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment