Tuesday, May 21, 2013

GuestBlogger: Jazzy Little Meatballs

In honor of my two-thousandth page-view, I present my first GuestBlogger!

And first, I know what you're thinking: It seems like only yesterday I was celebrating my one-thousandth page view. Because it was (now I promise I'll stop counting until 10 thousand).

But enough about me, back to my guest. I met Rachel a little over 18 months ago when I first joined the local CrossFit gym.  She was (and still is) a little bit taller, a whole lot faster, and about the same strength as I am. She also has one important quality that I lack - she's fearless in the gym. And she's an excellent motivator on top of all that.

Rachel knows instinctively when I am holding myself back out of fear, when I have the strength to tackle a new movement, but haven't realized it myself yet. It is because of Rachel that I can do a 30 inch box jump, have a handstand push-up, and went from one double under to 17 in a single morning. She's like the CrossFit angel sitting on my shoulder telling me I can do more, and she's always right (It's kind-of annoying actually).

Rachel also is an excellent cook and an impeccable hostess. After one taste of her Jazzy Little Meatballs, I knew she had to share the recipe with all of you. I'm so glad that she agreed.

Now, here's Rachel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first "real" blog post and I have the honor of being a guest blogger for the amazingly multi-talented and inspiring Silly Little CaveGirl.

Like many of my friends we experiment with and love food! Growing up in a huge Italian family, pasta and meatballs was a religion. When I told my Nonno that I was no longer eating grains he looked at me cross-eyed and said, "so you an still eat pasta, right?" I don't eat pasta anymore but these meatballs are a winner. Even Nonno approved.

This past weekend I hosted a housewarming party and our very own Silly Little CaveGirl also approved. Give them a try if you are looking for spice with depth. 


Jazzy Little Meatballs

CaveGirl: Jazzy Little Meatballs on Rachel's party buffet table.
They disappeared shortly after this photo was taken.

For the Sauce:


Ingredients

3 tomatoes, diced
1 white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 can of diced pineapple

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients above in a sauce pan and place on stove over medium heat, stirring frequently.
2. Once your sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 60 minutes
3. Once your sauce has simmered, turn off the heat and pour your sauce into a blender or food processor and run until you get a nice smooth sauce consistency
4. Return to the pan to keep warm or place on the food of your choice
5. Store in the refrigerator

For the Meatballs:


Ingredients

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 lbs ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 small red onion, grated or very finely chopped
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter, softened

Instructions

1. Pour a cup of the sauce you just made into the bottom of your Crock Pot.
2. Mix all meatball ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Once everything is mixed evenly (yes, use your hands) start rolling your meatballs, again by hand. Make them small (like a Sweedish meatball size). I rolled them and put them directly into my Crock Pot.
3. Pour about 1/2 cup of sauce over the top of the meatballs.
4. Cook meatballs in crock pot on low for about 4 hours.
5. Remove and place in serving dish. Warm remaining sauce on the stove on low.
6. Pour warm sauce on meatballs and serve! So tasty! So tender! So Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment