Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nutrition and Exercise (By Request)

I received a blog request!! I rarely even receive blog comments (it's OK I track my impact in other ways...) so to receive a comment and a request is a big deal here at Silly Little CaveGirl.

Sharon said: This looks amazing (yay!), will definitely be trying it soon. I have a blog request... Just started Insanity, and am constantly hungry (been there). I need some help getting my daily intake and menu adjusted. I love your first postings (like this one and this one) that broke down your snacks/meals etc... can you do an updated one? Love this blog (thanks!), and love your results (double thanks!) - keep up the good work! 

First Sharon, congratulations on starting Insanity, but be careful! That was my gateway-drug to CrossFit. You're on a slippery slope, my dear. In fact, when your 60 days are over, if you want to try some CrossFit-style workouts that can be done (for the most part) in your living room, check out bodeefit.com. My little sister also slipped down the slope from Insanity directly into Bodeefit.

But back to you. I know how you feel. Every time I increase my training level, I feel like I'm starving. So I eat more food. After a week-or-so I settle into eating enough food to match my training level, and the hunger pangs go away. It may seem counter-intuitive. We're supposed to diet and exercise, right? I wish they would change that slogan to nutrition and exercise. It would eliminate the (false) presumption that we should be limiting calories.

Pass it on!

Because you'll notice, that's one thing I don't do. I don't limit calories. I don't even count calories anymore (except for right now, because you asked me to). I eat good foods, mostly fats and protein, tons of veggies for vitamins, no sugar and no grains, and let the universe take care of the rest.

One Day of CaveFeeding


The contents of my lunchbox.

On a normal day, I wake up and drink a cup of coffee while I lazily watch Morning Joe. After about a half-hour, I get ready, pack my lunchbox (and CB's lunchbox) and head out the door. I eat my breakfast - two eggs scrambled with about 1/3 strip of bacon, diced onion and jalapeno - at my desk. Sometimes I drink another cup of coffee, but I've been trying to cut back. 

Lunch this week is 4 oz of meatballs with 3/4 cup roasted veggies and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. I try to climb out of my basement cubicle and eat lunch in the cafeteria (or outside!) with CB. About an hour before I head home, I eat my snack - two boiled eggs, half an apple, and a few carrot sticks. I also try to drink as much ice-water as I can throughout the day.

Once I get back home, I'll munch on a few plantain chips or some dried fruit while I check my email and see what the world's been up to on Facebook. Then I re-heat dinner - 4 oz Sesame Chicken and 1/2 cup broccoli with Fried "Rice". Sometimes I multi-task while I eat and catch up on the Kardashians or see what trouble Dinozzo is getting himself into. Then I work on the blog (it's kind-of a nice life, really).

On the days I workout, when I get home from the gym, I make a half-batch of Bulletproof Coffee (well, my poor-girl's version with 1 cup coffee, 1 tablespoon grassfed butter, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil). I sip that while I get ready and bring it with me in the car to work. It often lasts well-past when I arrive at my desk.


I eat 1600-1800 calories every day.

It took me a long time to get used to eating so much volume. After spending a lifetime thinking 1100 calories was too much, when I tried to jump straight to 1800 calories I felt like I was force-feeding myself. Instead, I increased my intake to 1300 calories-a-day for a week, then 1400 calories-a-day for a week, etc.

If you're starving, you're probably not eating enough to support your activity level. I recommend you log on to fitday.com and see how much you're eating. You might be surprised by how little it is. Often people forget to replace all the calories they lost when they quit eating grains. So that's step number one. 

If you find you're eating a "normal" amount, but you're still hungry now that you've started a new workout routine, try increasing your calories by adding a little good fat (eat an avocado with breakfast, or one extra egg, for example). And stay far-far-away from sugar and grains.

I hope that helps!










No comments:

Post a Comment