Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Strawberry Daiquiri Cake

When I told my little sister about my pineapple cake recipe her response was, "why don't you ever make anything I can eat?" And she makes a valid point. While most of my savory recipes are LittleSister-safe, my treats are decidedly not. LittleSister and I both are intolerant of wheat, corn, dairy, chocolate, and nuts. But the poor girl also is allergic to bananas, pineapple, and citrus fruits. Banana chocolate chip cookies and key lime pie are off the menu.

This summer, LittleSister and I are traveling to our family vacation at the beach. In addition to our plans to eat tons of nutritious food, workout, body-surf, and sun-bathe, we're also taking this opportunity to indulge in primal cocktails and sweet treats. So, we need a few go-to recipes to take with us. This Strawberry Daiquiri Cake recipe fits our three major criteria for a vacation dessert.

Beach House Dessert Criteria

1) LittleSister-safe (should go without saying)
2) Refreshing (after hours in the sun, the last thing you want is something that will weigh you down)
3) Simple (trust me, simple is important. On a previous vacation, after way too much sangria,  
    LittleSister and I forgot the eggs in a batch of brownies. Luckily, the boys ate them anyway)


I'll let you know how the cake tastes without baking powder or salt or whatever key ingredient we leave out in our revery. In the mean time, I recommend you try the recipe as prescribed.

Strawberry Daiquiri Cake

This probably is the pretties picture on Silly Little CaveGirl.
I'm super proud of myself right now!

Ingredients

3 cups strawberries, quartered
4 eggs
1/3 cup solids removed from a can of coconut milk*
4 heaping tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoons dark rum
1 tablespoon lime juice**
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
Coconut oil spray

6 strawberries, sliced thin

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add quartered strawberries, water, eggs, coconut solids and rum to a blender, and blend until whipped and creamy. Add coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and blend until fully combined. 

Grease a small baking dish with coconut oil spray. Pour cake batter into dish and smooth into an even layer.  Float sliced strawberries on top of the batter.

Bake at 375. This is a very wet batter, so even tho the cake passes the knife test, it might not be done in the center. Once it does pass the knife test, continue baking until cake is golden brown and pulls away from the sides of the baking dish. Basically, cook it as long as you can without letting it burn. About 65-75 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.




*Note1: If your canned coconut milk hasn't separated, place it in the refrigerator overnight. The solids will thicken up and rise to the top. I like to keep a can in my refrigerator just in case I get the urge to bake.  Trader Joe's also has a canned coconut cream that works great for recipes. The thickened coconut solids are readily available when you open the can.

**Note2: If you're my sister, replace lime juice with rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment