Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tangy Shaved Brussels Sprouts

On Saturday, I learned how to use my apartment community grill. I know what you're thinking, "she's so capable, how is it possible that Silly Little CaveGirl doesn't know how to grill?" And you're right! Sometimes I take silly right to the edge of ridiculous.

In my defense, it is a gas grill with an underground gas line and no spark starter. So I had to learn how to (safely) introduce a flame and get things going. It turns out, it's not as terrifying as I expected. And now I am ready to rock-and-roll.

As proud as I am of myself, you're probably not going to see a ton of grilled-meat recipes on this blog. Let's face it, grilling season is really side-dish season. Nothing can compete with a great piece of grass-fed beef cooked over an open flame. Nothing. Ever. And I refuse to insult your intelligence by posting a recipe for grilled ribeye.

Side-dishes, on the other hand, can be tricky (in that the old-standbys get boring after a while). Sweet potato fries are a natural choice; and who can resist a paleo Steak Frites? But after a few meals, you're going to want to jazz things up. Of course, you could do a salad with homemade dressing (ok, now I'm getting hungry). But what if you're in the mood for something a little darker? Enter Tangy Shaved Brussels Sprouts (aka salad's slightly-bitter older brother).

True-to-form, CaveBoy asked me to double the sauce next time, but I like the hint of vinegar and mustard and worry that too much olive oil would be too much. Agree to disagree.

Tangy Shaved Brussels Sprouts

Cute, right?


Ingredients

1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In an oven safe skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and garlic, and cook until they just start to brown. Add shaved brussels sprouts. Saute brussels sprouts until they brown. About 10 minutes.  Place skillet in heated oven to continue cooking. After 5 minutes stir. Cook an additional 5 minutes.

While the brussels sprouts are in the oven prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ground mustard and garlic. Stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. I prefer a medium pinch of salt and a few shakes of pepper. Set aside until brussels are done cooking

Once the brussels are done cooking, return the skillet to the stovetop. Give the balsamic sauce one final stir to combine and the pour over the brussels. It will sizzle a little. Stir the brussels sprouts until the sauce is evenly distributed. Serve and enjoy. Makes 2 servings (yes, only two! Sometimes CaveBoy and I actually get to cook together).

No comments:

Post a Comment