Sunday, August 11, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash

If you're playing along at home, you know I posted a mashed sweet potato recipe a few months back. But guess what? I improved it! Actually, I've improved a lot of things around here.

I'm sure you've noticed that the photography has gotten better. That's partially thanks to my new CaveGirl-proof camera. And partially because I started getting my sh(ush) together earlier in the day, so I still have some natural light left when it's picture-time (or it could just be that the days are longer...)

My photo-editing and framing are more pleasant, too. So, you're welcome for that!

Besides the camera, I've made a few other investments. I purchased my domain name! And now that I'm well over 10 thousand page-views (I told you I'd stop counting until 10k) I started a Facebook page (like me!..pleeeease).

When I started this thing last July, I didn't know if would work out. I didn't tell anyone I had a blog (not even CB!) until September. And even then I wasn't sure if it would last. Now that Silly Little CaveGirl has made it a year - which is longer than some celebrity marriages (and no that's not a slam at Kim K.... I would never...) - the future's looking pretty bright. The immediate future, at the very least! I'll let you know for sure once I've surpassed the gestation period of an elephant.

I hope you've enjoyed the past year a-quarter-as-much as I have. I'm looking forward to year two and cannot wait to continue improving the site (and my cooking!). If you have any suggestions for how to make year two that-much-more awesome, please leave them in the comments or on the FB page. And please enjoy this (newly-improved) recipe.

Roasted-Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash


Yes, that's grassfed butter. Thanks for asking.

Ingredients

6 medium sweet potatoes
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Instructions

Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until soft to the touch. About 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once the sweet potatoes are in the oven, grease a second baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Arrange cauliflower florets in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.  Bake at 400 degrees until cauliflower becomes tender. About 20 minutes. Removed from oven. In a blender, add cauliflower and 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken stock (just enough to make the blender work) and blend to puree. 

Once sweet potatoes are cool enough to touch, remove skins and place potato in a large mixing bowl. Mash sweet potatoes and then using a wooden spoon, fold in the cauliflower puree. Makes 12 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment