Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tropical Chocolate Chip Cookies

Happy three-day weekend! Let's celebrate with a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

I made these little guys for a meeting I had on Friday morning. I invited a bunch of people over because I really want them to work with me on a kick-ass project. But scheduling a multi-hour meeting on a Friday - before a holiday weekend - is rough on everyone. So, I decided to bring a sweet treat to keep our sprits up.

I was inspired to create this recipe after I found a jar of coconut butter during a recent Walmart run. I had been making my own, but I guess I wasn't letting the food processor run long enough (it's so loud!), because  my version was nowhere near as creamy as the store-bought kind. In any case, for the past few weeks I've been enjoying coconut butter spooned onto banana slices for a semi-sweet dessert. Add a few mini chocolate chips and you really have something!

I based this Tropical Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on the Best Paleo Cookies Ever, with some pretty major modifications to account for replacing the almond flour with coconut flour. Coconut flour is super-dense and hygroscopic so the liquid ratios have to be managed carefully. I'm actually pretty shocked that they worked so well on the first try!

The team loved the cookies! And they all agreed to work on the project with me. I can't be sure how much my baking contributed to their willingness to participate, but I know it didn't hurt.

 Tropical Chocolate Chip Cookies

I wish I had a cocktail umbrella!

Ingredients

2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 bag mini chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup water or pineapple juice (for extra sweetness)
1/2 cup coconut butter
2 tablespoons apple butter (I like Dutch Country Kettles sugar free)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 dash cinnamon
1 big pinch of salt

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, egg, water, coconut butter, apple butter, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well to ensure baking soda is evenly distributed. Add coconut flour and mix well. Let stand 5 minutes so coconut flour can finish absorbing the liquid. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Grease a large baking sheet with coconut oil spray. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a smooth ball and press gently to flatten. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used. You may need to use two baking sheets depending on how much space you allow between cookies. Bake until golden brown. About 25 minutes. 

These cookies are super-soft. After you remove them from the oven, let them sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then place them in a air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator. Chilling over night will help them firm up and make them easier to grab. Makes four dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment