Thursday, July 25, 2013

Watermelon Margaritas

It's (almost) the weekend, so it seems like the perfect time to share my favorite recipe from our beach vacation. This little beauty was developed on the fly after a pretty intense workout and an enormous bacon-and-eggs breakfast.

I had purchased a bottle of 1800 and a few 2 liters of club soda because I always follow Bethenny Frankel's Skinnygirl philosophy when making cocktails. (I mean, how can you argue with a bah-gillionaire who advocates day-drinking?) I also had a bottle of lime juice and was prep'd and ready to make margaritas. The only trouble was, LittleSister is allergic to lime.

We had a few bottles of pre-made drink mix and some diet sodas in the kitchen, but I wasn't interested in filling the poor girl up with artificial sugar or high fructose corn syrup. We were going to tax our bodies enough with the alcohol and inevitable dehydration that comes with sitting on the beach - why push it?

LittleSister and I started digging around the refrigerator to see what-all was left from the first few days of activity and found two big Ziplock bags of diced watermelon. Strawberry margaritas are always a hit, so why not watermelon? Why not indeed! I'm only sorry I didn't think of this recipe years earlier.

Enjoy (responsibly)!


Watermelon Margaritas

My mouth is watering!

Ingredients

2 cups club soda or sparkling mineral water
1 cup diced seedless watermelon
1 cup ice
2 oz silver tequila (or more)
Pinch of salt

Instructions

Add watermelon and pinch of salt to a small bowl. Mash watermelon using a potato masher until pieces are small enough to fit through your straw (or - if you're lazy - you could use a blender). Pour watermelon mash into your favorite water bottle (or a large glass). Add tequila, ice, and club soda. Stir gently. Makes 1 serving (even tho the title is plural). You can share if you want, but I don't recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment