Friday, July 12, 2013

Lime-Dressed Cole Slaw

I haven't been shy about exclaiming my love for Texas. And TexMex probably is my favorite food group. But in the summer, when the weather is hot, nothing tastes better than a little CaliMex. Grilled fish or shrimp tacos, with a crunchy-tangy cole slaw and a few slices of avocado, make my taste buds flutter (flip-flops and bikini optional).

Plus, CaliMex is easy to make! Grilled fish practically is just grill+fish and it's not too tough to throw a shrimp on the barbie. My favorite paleo cookbook Paleo Comfort Foods has a delicious (and sturdy!) coconut flour tortilla recipe. But what about the cole slaw?

I had a stroke of genius when I was pulling this recipe together. I already had the oil:lime juice ratio down pat, and then when I was digging through the spice cupboard the taco seasoning practically jumped into my mixing bowl. Why re-create the perfect seasoning to accompany tacos when the good people at McCormick have taken care of it for me?

Delicious and easy!

Lime-Dressed Cole Slaw

A bright, crunchy topping. Also tastes great on a ground beef "taco bowl."

Ingredients

1.25 lbs shredded cabbage (or ready-to-use cole slaw kit)
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon taco seasoning

Instructions

Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, and seasoning in a large bowl. Add shredded cabbage to the bowl and combine (with your hands) to evenly distribute the dressing. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. Makes 8 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment