Monday, July 22, 2013

Bacon-Mushroom Burger (Topping)

What is bacon jam? And why is it everywhere all of a sudden? Are you noticing this phenomenon right now? Is it a phenomenon? Or am I just late to the party? Oh well. This is not bacon jam (unless it is. I'm really not that clear what's going on here!). But it is delicious.

Hamburgers are one of my favorite foods. I probably could eat a hamburger every day. And this week I actually get to do that! As part of my Sunday cook, CaveBoy and I grilled-up a stack of hamburger patties. For toppings, I could have sliced some tomato, cleaned some lettuce, and called it a day. But fresh veggies are hard to keep fresh for a week. And I cannot commit to buying new fresher veggies mid-week.

So, I needed a cooked topping that would taste delicious and keep for seven days. I always enjoy sauteed onion and mushroom on my burgers at restaurants. And who doesn't like a bacon burger? So I thought I'd combine the ideas and make a simple and delicious burger topping that I could just scoop out and re-heat after work. I'm really happy with the result!

Bacon-Mushroom Burger (Topping)


Yes, that's a fried egg. The runny yolk is a 10x improvement over my
previous favorite burger topping: melted cheddar cheese. Try it!

Ingredients

2 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
4 yellow onions, diced
20 oz white mushroom, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Instructions

Add bacon to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the bacon fat starts to render, add the onions and reduce the heat to medium-low. Season with salt and pepper. Cook bacon and onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to caramelize. 

Add mushroom and continue cooking over medium-low heat until all liquid evaporates. Add garlic and continue cooking until the mushrooms and onions are caramelized. It is going to take a looooooong time. Slow and low (that is the tempo). 

Once the veggies are caramelized, stir in the vinegar and re-season with salt and pepper. Makes 8 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment