Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pineapple with Dark Chocolate Sauce

So. How are the resolutions going?

A few years ago my friends and I started sharing our goals for the year and checking in with each other every quarter to see how much progress we've made. It helps keep us accountable. And the quarterly check-in lets us reassess and create new goals when life inevitably fails to live up to our expectations.

We always have a few career-associated goals and plans to improve our social- and family-life. And of course health and fitness goals. For example, in 2014 I plan to establish a new fitness routine. Life interrupted my CrossFit membership (even though I still love it!) so I need to figure out how to hold on to the precious gains I've made over the last two years.

To that end, I'm following the programming on bodeefit.com (download the app! It's sooo cool). And I'm getting my nutrition back under control (see ya later, holidays!).

I imagine many of you are in the same boat.

But then what do you do when you're craving something sweet? Or if your party-loving friends haven't changed their plans to accommodate your resolutions? Turn nature's dessert into something a little special!

Pineapple with Dark Chocolate Sauce

See how fancy they are?

Ingredients


16 oz pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup dark chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla

Instructions


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Skewer the pineapple chunks with toothpicks and arrange on the parchment paper. Add chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla to a small sauce pan and place over low heat. Stir continuously until chocolate is melted and sauce is combined. 

Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate sauce over the pineapple (you won't use all of the sauce, but it keeps well in a sealed container in the refrigerator). Place tray of pineapple in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden the sauce and make the skewers less messy to arrange on a serving dish (or carry individually to the living room for midnight snack). 

Credit where credit is due: For the sauce, I used the ingredients from a chocolate frosting recipe I found on Elana's Pantry.






No comments:

Post a Comment