Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sausage and Sauerkraut

I've been MIA. I know. And I don't have anything to say for myself.

That's a lie...

I started my SillyLittle blog as a creative outlet. A place to share what I've been cookin' and describe the mostly-harmless-and-often-truly-boring "adventures" I made for myself in and out of the CrossFit box. I had my pleasant little life. And I was happy enough. And everything was going along the way it is supposed to go along. And I convinced myself that it was everything I could hope for and more than I deserved.

But when it all came to a halt - and every plan I'd made from now until next forever instantly disappeared - I was shocked to realize that I didn't miss a single one of those lost plans. Not. One.

I had spent the better part of a decade concealing my potential, containing my spirit, convincing myself that I was less than, that I was simple, that I was scared of this big world. That I preferred my tidy, neat routine. That I was OK being city-stuck and working hard and playing little. And my future plans were a reflection of that false life.

(And maybe that's the risk of being truly happy, from the inside. Unless you take the time to consider your life, you'll go along as if what you're doing is actually living. Because you don't have any of the sadness or disappointment that would normally force you to reevaluate your existence... And I was - and still am - truly happy.)

So instead it took losing my entire future in one swift swoop to force me to do the work that needed to be done. To reach way way back and way down deep to find the girl I was before I had to hide the girl I am. It took me a little while to find her. But I did.

And you know what?

I love that silly little girl. I'm in awe of the girl who refused to apply for college and moved to Europe at 18 (on a whim and a prayer) to live with a family she'd never met and care for three children under age 5 who spoke no English. I adore the girl who delayed graduation to work in the space program. Who walked away from a PhD, over the violent objections of her father. Who followed her true calling and landed her dream job - even though it ultimately led to the demise of her marriage.

That girl is brave! And decisive. And would never ever settle for a tidy little routine life.

So now that I've rediscovered the SillyLittleCaveGirl that always was and should have been, I'm expending all of my energy building a new (infinitely better) life and making new (sometimes terrifying) plans. And it has been a ton of (beautiful) work. And it has required every ounce of my creativity and every molecule of my courage. And I'm nowhere near done yet.

In fact. I don't think I'll ever be done.

So what does that mean for SillyLittleCaveGirl the blog? First. It means I'm back, but in a new way. You'll probably notice that I don't really spend that much time in the kitchen anymore. This post should be your case in point. But I promise I haven't gone soft on nutrition. I'm still a CaveGirl through and through. I'm just expending my creative energy elsewhere.

So expect to see a few more plugs for other paleo websites. But I also promise to fortify you with all-new content from brilliant guest bloggers. And even from me when the spirit moves. And of course I will continue to share silly stories about my hopefully-much-less-boring-and-no-longer-in-quotation-marks adventures. It should be interesting - to me least - and equally delicious.

Thanks for sticking with me! And please enjoy the simplest recipe you've ever made:

Sausage and Sauerkraut

Not the prettiest picture I've ever taken. But then again, not the worst.

Ingredients

German sausage or bratwurst
Sauerkraut
German mustard

Instructions

This thing is so simple it totally doesn't count as a recipe. But it tastes amazing and is sure to please a crowd. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Strain the sauerkraut and spread it in an even layer in a baking dish. Lay the raw sausages on top. Bake at 400 degrees until the sausages are fully cooked. About 20 minutes. Makes as many servings as you make sausages. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment