Sunday, September 15, 2013

GuestBlogger: Grilled Flank Steak With Whole30 Sides

Congratulations! We're half-way though the Whole30. To celebrate our continued success, another amazing woman has agreed to GuestBlog about her experience with the protocol.

DrLindsey and I go waaaaayyyyy back (back before I met CaveBoy). It would be an understatement to say that we grew up together. Even though we were technically adults when we met, we developed into the women that we are today in each others' company. Sometimes pushing each other (and letting ourselves be pushed by the other) to overcome our self-doubt and youthful selfishness.

And we're still growing-up together! Supporting each other though the multi-year-gut-punch of higher education, the stress-filled-joy of our weddings, the pleasure of building our little families, and the hard-work of opening a medical practice (DrLindsey-obviously) and climbing out of a basement cubicle (me).

Throughout the (many) years, we've also supported each others' health and fitness goals. And you have Dr.Lindsey to thank for inspiring this month's Whole30.

Now, here's DrLindsey...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hi folks! 

I’m Lindsey Mansueto DC, a chiropractor who usually focuses on hands on techniques to treat people with musculoskeletal pain. However, taking many hours of nutrition classes has taught me that if people are eating the wrong foods it will lead to aches and pains regardless of structural integrity. So when CaveGirl asked me to do a guest blog, I was thrilled to oblige.

The first thing you need to know about me is that I love food. I mean LOVE food. Growing up with a father who is a chef, it was standard to have five courses at dinnertime. Now that I am a mom, I want to instill a love of food to my daughter but also ensure that she loves the right foods: a ripe pear, sweet cantaloupe, freshly scrambled eggs, and of course green veggies.

CaveGirl asked me to do the Whole30 with her almost a year ago and my initial reaction was pure terror. You mean no creamer in my coffee? No dark chocolate before bed? No bagels with butter in the morning? But as the year went by and I did more research, I felt more comfortable with eliminating dairy, grains, beans, and processed foods from my diet. 

So I started the Whole30 on September 1st and it took 4 days for me to get used to my new eating style. The amazing thing is that during that transition I started to sleep better, poop better, think clearly, and have more fun during the day. 

Don’t get me wrong, it does take a great deal of planning. But when you are planning ahead for your meals, it gives you more time to think about the important things: playing with your kids, getting more done at work, and of course showing your spouse a little affection (hubba hubba).

So today I want to share with you one of my favorite meals from my first week of the Whole30:

Grilled Flank Steak With Whole30 Sides



CaveGirl: You can tell that cooking is in here genes!

Ingredients

For the Flank Steak

Grass fed local flank steak
Shallots
Ginger
Garlic
Onion Powder
Coconut Aminos
Pink Himalayan Salt
Pepper

For the Whole30 Sides

Green beans
Sweet potato
Arugula
Olive oil
White balsamic vinegar
Tomato
Red onion
Cilantro
Carrots
Salt and Pepper

Instructions

Combine all the ingredients* in a shallow dish or Ziploc bag. Allow the steak to marinate overnight for intense flavor.

Start the baked potato.. I usually do 350 degrees for 1 hour depending on the size (you can do this in advance and just reheat the day of). Because these sweet potatoes were big, I just used two and gave family members slices. 

Preheat the grill to get it nice and hot. Wash and steam the green beans. Put the marinated steak on the grill. Cook for 7-10 minutes per side (I had a huge flank steak). While the steak is cooking, go throw the arugula salad together. Once the steak is done, allow it to rest so it soaks up all the juices and you have time to finish up the rest of the meal. 

It is a healthy Whole30-approved meal that the whole family can enjoy!


*Note: CaveGirl: DrLindsey is creative in the kitchen and doesn't often measure. Use this recipe as inspiration and just make enough marinade to cover the flank steak. Judge your portions for the other ingredients based on how many people you plan to feed.






No comments:

Post a Comment