Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bone Broth (Not Safe For Vegans)

I typically think of homemade stock as how you start a Thanksgiving gravy, and generally a cold weather recipe. But it turns out bone broth has many health benefits in addition to jazzing up the mashed potatoes (benefits so great that it makes sense to keep homemade bone broth in the refrigerator year-round). So when I found grassfed beef marrow bones and turkey-neck bones at the grocery store, I thought I'd add a batch of bone broth to my Sunday cooking routine.

After a little bit of research it was clear that my Thanksgiving recipe would need some minor modifications. To fully extract minerals from the bones, I added 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. I also skipped most of the veggies and some of the herbs (out of laziness, mostly).

The modified recipe was very successful! I used it in place of beef stock in a new recipe (stay tuned!) and stored some in the refrigerator for soothing evening drinks. This recipe also was the first time I've made a stock in my Crock-Pot, and now I'm wondering what took me so long. I plan to use the same method for this year's Thanksgiving gravy (don't worry! I'll get you a delicious turkey gravy recipe in time for the holidays).

Bone Broth (Not Safe For Vegans)


No, the picture isn't blurry. That's steam.

Ingredients

1.5 lbs beef marrow bones
1.5 lbs turkey-neck bones (could be replaced with other poultry bones)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
10 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons dried rosemarie
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Water

Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange marrow bones in a baking dish. Season with a few pinches of salt and a few healthy shakes of pepper. Cook at 450 degrees until marrow is soft. About 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Scoop out the marrow and enjoy with your favorite carb-y vessel (coconut flour tortillas, for example, or almond flour pancakes) or just set aside for later use.

Place marrow bones, raw turkey bones, vinegar, garlic, rosemarie, seasoning and bay leaf into your Crock-Pot. Add water until the Crock-Pot is filled to the top. Cover. Cook on high until broth begins to boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer overnight. 

In the morning, turn off heat and let cool so that you don't scald yourself when pouring.  Once cooled, remove bones with a slotted spoon. Strain liquid into a large pot through a thin mesh strainer. Discard bones. Store broth in a tightly sealed container. Let stand until the broth cools to room temperature. The fat will float to the top and partially solidify. Scoop off fat and discard.

Refrigerate. Reheat single servings in a small sauce pan.

If your batch is particularly large, I recommend freezing it in 4 cup portions. That way you'll always be ready to make a paleo chicken soup when someone you love comes down with a cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment